Indiana University begins search for chief human resources administrator
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
BLOOMINGTON, Ind. -- Indiana University has begun a national search for the university's chief human resources officer, who will serve as associate vice president of human resources and oversee policies and programs affecting more than 20,000 employees on campuses across the state.
The successful candidate will succeed Dan Rives, who is retiring May 31 after 23 years in human resources at Indiana University, most recently as associate vice president.
'We are looking for Dan’s successor to enhance Indiana University’s strong human resources foundation and programming," said MaryFrances McCourt, IU vice president, chief financial officer and treasurer. "This person will lead a best-in-class human resources organization by placing a high value on operational effectiveness, superior customer service, and alignment of culture with strategy, aspirations and values."
The new human resources leader will be charged with the following:
- Development of strategic recruiting and retention plans.
- Development of best practices in talent management and performance management.
- Establishment of best-in-class employee benefits and compensation programs.
- Enhancement of technology-driven methods of human resource functions.
- Successful collaboration with faculty and academic human resources leadership.
- Effective diversity recruitment and retention initiatives.
The position reports to McCourt. Responsibilities include a wide range of issues and programs involving employee benefits, group insurance, union negotiations, human resources information management, talent management and regulatory compliance. The associate vice president for human resources will act as a strategic advisor on all aspects of human resources management to IU President Michael A. McRobbie and his senior leadership team
The search is being led by Jackie Simmons, IU vice president and general counsel. The search committee includes the following:
- Debby Allmayer, human resources officer, Office of the Vice President for Information Technology
- Stephen Bogdewic, executive associate dean for faculty affairs and professional development at Indiana University-Purdue University Indianapolis
- Thomas Gieryn, vice provost for faculty and academic affairs at IU Bloomington
- Marcia Gonzales, chief compliance officer, Office of the Vice President and General Counsel
- Joan Hagen, associate vice president and university controller, Office of the Vice President and CFO
- John Hewetson, assistant vice president for facility operation, Office of the Vice President for Capital Planning and Facilities
- Joseph Pellicciotti, vice chancellor for administration at IU Northwest
- Dawn Rhodes, vice chancellor for finance and administration at IUPUI
- Steven Sherman, Chancellor's Professor in the Department of Psychological and Brain Sciences at IU Bloomington
The search firm Witt/Kieffer, which specializes in finding leadership for health-related organizations, life sciences companies and universities, has been hired to assist the search committee in its efforts to find a talented and motivated individual with the right combination of skills to take IU's human resources function to what Simmons described as "an even higher level of excellence."
The search consultant is accepting applications, nominations and inquires through April 30 at IndianaAVPHR@wittkieffer.com. Confidential inquiries can be directed to Alice Miller, Jane Courson or Peggy Plympton at 678-302-1565, or to Witt/Kieffer, 3414 Peachtree Road-Suite 352, Atlanta, GA 30326.