IU trustees approve 2015-17 capital request
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
BLOOMINGTON, Ind. -- Indiana University trustees have approved a legislative capital request for fiscal years 2015-17.
The university’s request to the Indiana General Assembly, totaling $203 million, focuses on a number of repair and rehabilitation priorities, including the continued development of the historic center of the IU Bloomington campus known as the “Old Crescent”; renovations to turn the former Wishard Hospital campus in Indianapolis into a hub for IU health and life sciences programs; and the construction of a new multidisciplinary academic medical education and research center in downtown Evansville that will greatly expand the IU School of Medicine’s presence in that city.
“We are continually looking to improve the academic and research environment of our campuses, while remaining strong stewards of the resources that are provided to us,” said IU Vice President for Capital Planning and Facilities Tom Morrison, who presented the request today before the Board of Trustees’ Facilities and Auxiliaries Committee. “The projects for which we are requesting funding are consistent with our mission of educational excellence, our determination to providing the very best facilities for our faculty, staff and students, and our commitment to the economic growth and vitality of our state.”
In other business, the Board of Trustees also approved the following projects:
- A plan to facilitate the rebuilding and expansion of Woodlawn Avenue from 13th Street to 17th Street on the Bloomington campus. Specific improvements include the introduction of new travel and bike lanes, tree lawns, sidewalks on both sides of the roadway, lighting to support pedestrian and vehicular safety, and a signal at 17th Street to facilitate bus service through the corridor.
- The design and construction of a new 700-bed residence building on the IUPUI campus.
- Renovations of the IU Natatorium at IUPUI.
- A plan to construct an addition to the Musical Arts Center on the Bloomington campus.
- A plan to renovate Springwood Hall on the IU East campus and construct a new events center there.