Editor’s note: This story was updated on Sept. 24, 2020, with the most current Wi-Fi hot spot locations.
BLOOMINGTON, Ind. – Indiana University is providing free, 24-hour, high-speed Wi-Fi access across the state to IU students, faculty and staff as well as the general public who may not have internet connectivity due to COVID-19-related library and business closures.
IU’s University Information Technology Services networks division has set up “lot hot spots” so users can maintain social distancing while accessing the internet from their cars.
“I am so proud of the creativity and innovation that Indiana University is showing to supply Hoosiers with free and reliable high-speed internet access as we work together to combat the spread of COVID-19,” said Suzanne Crouch, Indiana lieutenant governor. “Their efforts will allow Hoosiers – not just in Bloomington but throughout the entire state – to click, connect and download all while maintaining social distancing.”
In Bloomington, Wi-Fi is now operational in the Orange parking lot between Memorial Stadium and Assembly Hall, the IMU Solarium patio, Goodbody Hall patio and Sembower Field. The service provides the full range of internet usage from an individual’s personal device, allowing people to view websites, download materials, log into instructional or conferencing programs, file taxes, and apply for unemployment and other aid.
A statewide initiative, Wi-Fi lot hot spots are also available at IUPUI and IU regional campuses. At all of IU’s lot hot spots, people with IU affiliations will be able to access Wi-Fi through IU Secure and eduroam, while others can use the IU Guest network.
Here are the IU Wi-Fi lot hot spot locations across Indiana. All will have directional signage to help people find their connection:
- IU Bloomington: Orange lot between Memorial Stadium and Assembly Hall. (Note: Zone B has the best connectivity, although users may be able to connect in zones A and C as well); IMU Solarium patio; Goodbody Hall patio; Sembower Field.
- IUPUI: Gateway Garage, 1st floor; Lot 92, N. Blackford St., near Gateway Garage; Barnhill Garage (near elevators).
- IU East: Tom Raper Hall parking lot.
- IU Kokomo: Main Building, Havens lot next to the Well House.
- IU Northwest: Moraine Student Center, parking lot 2.
- IU South Bend: Student Activities Center parking lot.
- IU Southeast: Multipurpose Building (Child Care Center) parking lot.
- IUPUC: Campus Center, Arnold Street parking lot.
For health and safety as well as to provide the service to all who need it, IU asks that people using the Wi-Fi lot hot spots do the following:
- Stay inside cars and remain on site only as long as necessary.
- Turn off vehicle engines to save gas and reduce emissions.
- Never leave children unattended in the vehicles.
IU contracted with Jasper, Indiana-based PIER Group, a company focused on technology solutions for the research and education field and frequent collaborator with UITS, on the rapid installation of access points for the Wi-Fi parking lots.