Several project and design plans for the Indiana University Bloomington and Indiana University-Purdue University Indianapolis campuses were approved by the IU Board of Trustees at today's meeting of the Facilities and Auxiliaries Committee. The trustees met Thursday and today on the Bloomington campus.
Thomas A. Morrison, IU vice president for capital planning and facilities, presented the requests:
Project approval requests
The board approved two new projects, including renovations and lighting improvements to four parking garages on the IUPUI campus and the university's 2018 repair and rehabilitation plan and report.
On the IUPUI campus, the Tower Garage, including the surrounding hardscape and landscape, will be renovated to address recurring water infiltration issues as well as upgrade aging fire sprinkler and lighting systems. Lighting in the Vermont Street, Blackford Street and Barnhill parking garages also will be updated to more cost- and energy-efficient systems.
The board also approved proceeding with the university's 2018 Repair and Rehabilitation Plan for all campuses. Funded by state appropriations and student fees, the plan focuses on reduction of deferred maintenance on all campuses. Projects will include repairs and replacement of roofing; building facades; electrical, mechanical and plumbing systems; and steam, utilities and chilled water distribution systems. Also planned are site improvements and renovations of restrooms, elevators and classrooms.
The Repair and Rehabilitation Plan, instituted more than seven years ago, has been successful in addressing the university's goal to eliminate its deferred maintenance backlog by 2020 as well as perform continued repairs and renovations as they arise.
Design approval requests
Also approved was a design request for renovation to the Maxwell Hall courtyard on the Bloomington campus. The courtyard is about 1,650 square feet and currently exists in turf. The space is delineated by the original building to the south, the 1907 addition to the west and north, and a freestanding stone wall with arched entryway to the east.
The upgrade will rebuild the eastern wall while maintaining the arched entryway. The masonry pattern and limestone wall will match that of Maxwell Hall. Simple limestone seats and wood benches will provide seating options around the edge of a paved plaza, with landscaping, water feature and sculptural element as focal points.
On the Bloomington campus, a new wood porch structure and ramp will be constructed on the north side of the Wylie House Museum.
Wylie House was constructed in 1835 by Andrew Wylie, IU's first president. During a renovation in the 1960s, the north porch was removed along with a doorway from the second-floor interior stair landing. In April 1995, a new sidewalk, concrete ramp, steps and landing were installed to provide access to the main-floor level for people with disabilities.
The university plans to replace the concrete ramp and related structures with a new wood porch structure, using historic photographs to develop a design similar in appearance to the original porch. The concrete ramp will be replaced with a wood ramp, and the second-floor door from the interior stair landing to the porch roof deck also will be restored.
Since the museum is a historic site, approval for the project has been sought and granted by the Indiana Division of Historic Preservation and Archaeology.