BLOOMINGTON, Ind. -- Indiana University Bloomington Provost and Executive Vice President Lauren Robel has appointed a committee to identify candidates for the position of dean for the School of Education at IU Bloomington.
The dean will oversee the school’s award-winning undergraduate teacher education and graduate programs; continue to strengthen its Global Gateway for Teachers program; and actively engage in collaborations with local and regional community partners.
Lee Feinstein, dean of the School of Global and International Studies at IU Bloomington, will chair the committee.
Current School of Education Dean Terry Mason is coming to the end of the two-year appointment he accepted in 2015, following 22 years at the school; he will return to the faculty.
“Terry has done a terrific job during this exciting period of transition and restructuring,” Robel said. “I look forward to the next chapter of leadership in the School of Education during a moment of such active discourse on the value of public education.”
On Aug. 11, the Indiana University Board of Trustees endorsed a recommendation to separate the IU School of Education into two independent schools of education on the IU Bloomington and IUPUI campuses. The move will become official in July, when the new Bloomington dean is expected to start. The School of Education at IUPUI will also be conducting a dean search, and a search committee will be announced in November, according to Kathy Johnson, executive vice chancellor and chief academic officer.
The search committee includes representatives of faculty, staff and students at IU Bloomington. In addition to Feinstein, they include:
- Victor Borden, professor of higher education and student affairs, School of Education at IU Bloomington.
- Gayle Buck, professor of science education and interim associate dean for research and development, School of Education.
- Yonjoo Cho, associate professor in the Department of Instructional Systems Technology, School of Education.
- Y. Barry Chung, professor in the Department of Counseling and Counselor Education and Department of Counseling Psychology and associate dean for graduate studies, School of Education.
- Danielle DeSawal, clinical associate professor in the Department of Higher Education and Student Affairs and the department's master’s program coordinator, School of Education
- Jena Hart, IU Student Association representative.
- Kirstin Helström, IU Graduate and Professional Student Government representative.
- Rob Kunzman, professor of curriculum studies and philosophy of education and the Martha Lea and Bill Armstrong Chair for Teacher Education, School of Education.
- Vicky Lewis, department administrator for the Department of Instructional Systems Technology, School of Education.
- Mitzi Lewison, professor in the Department of Literacy, Culture and Language Education, School of Education
- Sylvia Martinez, associate professor in the Department of Educational Leadership and Policy Studies, School of Education.
- Peter Miksza, associate professor of music education, Jacobs School of Music.
- Rebekah Sinders, Center for Evaluation and Education Policy, School of Education.
- Catherine Dyar (ex-officio member), chief of staff, Office of the Provost.
Search support will be provided by Jacqueline Cushman, project specialist in the Office of the Provost.