While the food court on the ground floor of the Campus Center gets a lot of business, one of the best eateries is upstairs. Erbert & Gerbert's Sandwich Shop, a small chain with a huge menu of subs and wraps, is worth the escalator or elevator ride to the second floor for lunch.
From the Spartan (chicken and peppadew mustard) to the Jacob Bluefinger (an avocado-fueled vegetarian sandwich), Erbert & Gerbert's menu centers around 16 signature subs along with limited-edition wraps -- a roast beef creation with cheddar cheese and hummus and a turkey choice with avocado and hummus.
Winter is here, so Erbert & Gerbert's soups are a popular choice as a side or entree. The rotating menu includes choices like chicken enchilada, baked potato and broccoli cheddar. Be sure to check out the hearty beef chili, too.
You can find great sandwich choices off-campus as well. All are nearby, and some deliver to IUPUI:
- Which Wich? at 910 W. 10th St.: This chain asks the big question within its name. Customers can build their own sandwiches by simply checkmarking choices on the brown bags that their lunch will eventually come in. It's an interactive and delicious experience, indeed. If you're too hungry to create your own 'wich, the Ultimate BLT, Philly cheesesteak and Cobb salad wrap are recommended. Call 317-632-9424 between 10:30 a.m.-8 p.m. for delivery. Walk-in hours are 10 a.m.-9 p.m. Monday-Saturday and 11 a.m.-7 p.m. Sunday.
- DiBella's Subs at 910 W. 10th St.: Located in the same complex as Which Wich, DiBella's specializes in grilled Italian subs. The sandwiches come in three sizes, which are all hefty and filling. Build your own or dive into an Old Fashioned (turkey, ham, salami), Uncle Louie (roast beef, turkey, ham) or Godfather (salami, capocollo, spicy ham). Hours are 10 a.m. to 7 p.m. Monday-Friday and 11 a.m.-7 p.m. Saturday.
- Dagwood's at 923 Indiana Ave.: A legend around Indiana University, this Bloomington-based sandwich institution is becoming an IUPUI tradition, too, thanks to its unique menu of sandwiches, wraps and soups. This is the only Dagwood's outside of Bloomington. Hours are 10:30 a.m.-10 p.m. Monday-Saturday and 11 a.m.-8 p.m. Sunday. Call 317-426-5222 for delivery.
- Jimmy John's at 605 W. 11th St.: Get freaky fast from 10:30 a.m.-10 p.m. Sunday-Thursday and 10:30 a.m.-midnight Friday and Saturday. Call 317-964-0093 for delivery.
- Subway at 909 Indiana Ave.: Get fresh from 8 a.m.-10 p.m. Monday-Thursday, 8 a.m.-9:30 p.m. Friday and Saturday, and 9 a.m.-9 p.m. Sunday.