The technology sector in the state of Indiana grows stronger annually, and people, products and startups from Indiana University and IUPUI are among the reasons why.
Fourteen people, including alumni, faculty and staff; departments, technologies, and companies with strong connections to IU and IUPUI have been named finalists in the 2018 Mira Awards competition. TechPoint, a nonprofit organization that promotes the technology sector in Indiana, received more than 200 applications that were reviewed and ranked by 52 independent subject-matter experts. More than 100 finalists were named in mid-February.
The IU- and IUPUI-related finalists are:
New Startup of the Year
Scale-up of the Year
Company Culture of the Year
Best New Tech Product
Innovation of the Year
- Pierce Aerospace
- Regenstrief Institute, Indiana Health Information Exchange, Indiana University Health
Rising Star Award
- Ellie Symes, CEO, The Bee Corp.
Tech Educator of the Year
- Kevin Berkopes, founder and CEO, Crossroads Education
- Travis J. Brown, assistant dean, innovation, entrepreneurship and commercialization, Indiana University School of Informatics, Computing and Engineering
- Informatics Diversity-Enhanced Workforce (iDEW) initiative, IU School of Informatics and Computing at IUPUI
Community Champion of the Year
- Dionne Cross Francis, associate professor, mathematics education director, Indiana University P-16 Center for Research and Collaboration
The 2018 Mira Award winners will be named at an April 28 event in Indianapolis.