Getting a flu shot should be the first step in preventing influenza, according to IU Health Center medical director Beth Rupp. Anyone 6 months old or older should get an annual flu shot, unless they have had a severe allergic reaction to the flu vaccine or one of its components in the past.
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention estimates that during the 2016-17 flu season, the vaccine prevented 5.3 million illnesses and 2.6 million medical visits.
Here are some more tips from Rupp:
- Try to get your flu vaccine before flu begins spreading in your community. It takes about two weeks after vaccination for antibodies to develop in the body, so make plans to get vaccinated early in the fall, preferably before the end of October.
- Getting a flu shot protects yourself but also those around you who may be particularly vulnerable to the flu.
- Groups that are at the highest risk from the flu include the elderly, infants and those with chronic medical conditions. If you regularly interact with such people, you can help protect them by getting a flu shot.
See dates and times flu shots will be administered on your campus this fall:
- IU Bloomington
Beginning Sept. 27, flu shot clinics will be available at the following campus locations:
- Sept. 27: 2 to 4 p.m. at Bryan Hall, Room 200.
- Oct. 2: 10 to 11:30 a.m. in the Wells Library main lobby and 2 to 4 p.m. at the Poplars Building, Room 185.
- Oct. 9: 12:30 to 2:30 p.m. at the School of Optometry, Basement Student Study Room.
- Oct. 10: 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. in the IU Health Center main lobby.
- Oct. 23: 9 to 11:30 a.m. in the lobby of Hodge Hall.
- Oct. 24: 2 to 4 p.m. at the School of Education atrium.
- Oct. 25: 9 to 10:30 a.m. at the Facilities/Architects Building, Davis Conference Room and 2 to 4 p.m. in the Maurer School of Law, Student Lounge 001.
- Oct. 30: 2 to 4 p.m. in the main lobby of the Cyberinfrastructure Building.
- Nov. 7: 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. at the Campus Health and Benefits Fair in Alumni Hall of the Indiana Memorial Union.
All IU employees, graduate appointees, fellowship recipients and retirees under the age of 65 covered by an IU-sponsored medical plan can receive the immunization at no cost by showing a valid medical plan ID card. The cost is $37 for employees not covered by an IU medical plan. Clinic sites are by check only. Spouses, partners and children of employees are not eligible to attend these clinics.
Additional information is available on the IU Health Center's website.
Free flu shots are available for IU faculty, staff and students. You must present your IUPUI ID. Please wear clothing that allows for easy access to your upper arm.
Upcoming dates and times include:
- Oct. 4: 10:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. at Neuroscience Research Building, Room 1353.
- Oct. 5: 9 to 11 a.m. at Emerson Hall, Room 122.
- Oct. 10: 9:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. at School of Dentistry basement lab.
- Oct. 12 and 18: 8 a.m. to 1 p.m. at Medical Science Building south atrium.
- Oct. 19: 10:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. at Health Science lobby, next to Wilson Street parking garage.
- Oct. 24: 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. at University Library, Room 1126.
- Oct. 25: 2:30 to 3:30 p.m. at Eskenazi Hall, Basile Center, Room 111 and 4 to 5 p.m. at Inlow Hall student lounge.
- Nov. 1: 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. at Campus Center, Room 405.
- Nov. 2: 10 a.m. to noon at Lockefield Village, Room 1101.
- Nov. 5: 1 to 3 p.m. at University Hall, Room 4043.
- IU East
Students, staff and faculty age 18 and older are invited to get their flu shot on the IU East campus in Hayes Hall 001. No appointment is needed during the following clinic times:
- Oct. 16: 11 a.m. to 2 p.m.
- Oct. 18: 9 to 10 a.m.
- Oct. 30: 9 a.m. noon.
- Oct. 31: 11 a.m. to 1 p.m.
- Nov. 1: 2 to 4 p.m.
IU-insured employees and covered spouses are free. For all others, the cost is $25 and payable in the Bursar's Office.
The deadline for flu shots for nursing students is Nov. 1. For more information, attend an open lunch discussion and flu shot demonstration with a senior nursing student from noon to 12:30 p.m. Oct. 10 in Hayes Hall 001.
- IU Fort Wayne
IU Fort Wayne will provide flu shots from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. today, Sept. 26, in the Walb Student Union, Room 114. School of Nursing students will be participating with the Center for Healthy Living Campus Clinic. Students in the Nursing 202 class, Medical-Surgical Nursing of Adults, will administer the shots to campus and local community members under the supervision of nursing faculty.
Call 260-481-6276 for more information.
- IU Kokomo
As of now, no on-campus flu shot clinics are scheduled for IU Kokomo.
- IU Northwest
As of now, no on-campus flu shot clinics are scheduled for IU Northwest.
On-campus flu shot clinics at IUPUC have been completed for the year.
- IU South Bend
Flu shots will be available at the IU South Bend Health and Wellness Center, at the Vera Z. Dwyer Hall.
- Oct. 1: 1 to 4 p.m.
- Oct. 2: 8 a.m. to noon.
- Oct. 3: 1 to 4 p.m.
- Oct. 8: 1 to 4 p.m.
- Oct. 9: 8 a.m. to noon.
- Oct. 10: 1 to 4 p.m.
- Oct. 15: 1 to 4 p.m.
- Oct. 16: 8 a.m. to noon.
- Oct. 17: 1 to 4 p.m.
- Oct. 22: 1 to 4 p.m.
- Oct. 23: 8 a.m. to noon.
- Oct. 24: 1 to 4 p.m.
- Oct. 29: 1 to 4 p.m.
- Oct. 30: 8 a.m. to noon
- Oct. 31: 1 to 4 p.m.
- Nov. 12: 1 to 4 p.m.
- Nov. 13: 8 a.m. to noon
- Nov. 14: 1 to 4 p.m.
Employees covered by an IU-sponsored medical plan can receive the immunization at no cost by showing a valid medical plan ID card and providing a university ID number. The cost for students is $25, and they are required to show their Crimson Card and provide a university ID number. For others, the cost is $30, and a form of ID is also required.
The Health and Wellness Center will provide a receipt for all who need to submit for insurance reimbursement. Costs can be charged to student bursar accounts or paid by card, cash or check. For more information, call 574-520-5557.
- IU Southeast
CVS Pharmacy will be administering flu shots on the IU Southeast campus to staff, faculty and family members covered by IU insurance. Send an email to email@example.com to schedule your appointment.
Upcoming dates and times include:
- Oct. 5: 9 to 11 a.m. at University Center South, Room 245.
Employees should bring their Anthem Insurance Card with them. There will be no cost with insurance.