BLOOMINGTON, Ind. -- Indiana University Bloomington Provost and Executive Vice President Lauren Robel has appointed a committee to identify candidates for the position of dean for the Indiana University School of Public and Environmental Affairs. SPEA is a core-campus school on both the IU Bloomington and IUPUI campuses.
John Graham, who has served as dean of SPEA since 2008, announced Aug. 8 that he will step down as dean Aug. 1, 2019, and return to the faculty.
SPEA was established in 1972 as the first school of its kind, bringing together the study of public affairs, environmental science and policy. Graham most recently oversaw the planning and opening of the new 34,000-square-foot Paul H. O'Neill Graduate Center.
In addition to a more than 50 percent increase in enrollment during Graham's tenure, SPEA has also expanded its academic offerings, which include public affairs, management, environmental science and policy, criminal justice, and arts administration. SPEA's Master of Public Affairs program is ranked No. 1 by U.S. News and World Report, as are its concentrations in nonprofit management, environmental policy and natural resources management, and public finance and budgeting.
"John Graham is a wonderful colleague who has focused on academic excellence in faculty hiring, research and academic programs during his successful 10-year tenure as dean," Robel said. "He will leave the school in terrific shape to recruit a worthy successor."
Austen Parrish, the Rudy Professor of Law and dean of the IU Maurer School of Law, will chair the search committee.
The committee includes representatives of faculty, staff and students at IU Bloomington and IUPUI. In addition to Parrish, they include:
- Charlie Abbott, administrative secretary, IU Bloomington.
- David Audretsch, Distinguished Professor, IU Bloomington.
- Shahzeen Attari, professor, IU Bloomington.
- Claudia Avellaneda, associate professor, IU Bloomington.
- Matthew Baggetta, associate professor, IU Bloomington.
- Sanya Carley, associate professor, IU Bloomington.
- Beth Cate, clinical associate professor, IU Bloomington.
- Jerome Dumortier, associate professor, IUPUI.
- Denvil Duncan, associate professor, IU Bloomington.
- Sergio Fernandez, associate professor, IU Bloomington.
- Lori Garraghty, executive director of development and alumni relations, IU Bloomington.
- Maggie Hopkins, SPEA undergraduate student, IU Bloomington.
- Robert Kravchuk, professor, IU Bloomington.
- Janet McCabe, Dean's Council, IUPUI.
- Stuart Nissenbaum, SPEA graduate student, IU Bloomington.
- Doug Noonan, professor, IUPUI.
- Daniel O'Donnell, assistant director of online education and online services, IU Bloomington.
- Jonathan Raff, associate professor, IU Bloomington.
- Kosali Simon, Wells Professor, IU Bloomington.
Search support will be provided by Jacqueline Cushman, project specialist in the Office of the Provost.