You may have seen him on the side of an IUPUI campus bus, but Jaguar shooting guard D.J. McCall hopes the next time you see him, he'll be driving down the lane on the court.
Heading into its second year in the Horizon League, the IUPUI men's basketball team is looking forward to its new season and players. McCall, a graduate student returning for his fifth year with the Jaguars, said the team gained multiple players who will have a big impact this year.
"The team has a new sort of energy now, coming from the Summit League and into the Horizon League," McCall said. "I think this is the most selfless, talented and toughest group we've had yet."
Many athletic teams are well-known for playing better at home, and IUPUI men's basketball is no different. Team members say it's all thanks to the confidence they derive from their fans.
"Last year, the fan base got better and better as the season went on," McCall said. "Our team appreciates all of your awesome support, and we look forward to seeing each and every one of you at the games."
Assistant Athletic Director of Communications Ed Holdaway said fans who attend basketball games this season can expect to be close to the action, have the opportunity to participate in fun events and be able to witness some exciting athletic competition.
Planning to attend a game this season? Check out these tips:
- Admission: Home basketball games are free for students as long as you bring your CrimsonCard with you.
- Transportation: If you don't have a car or you're just feeling a bit lazy, take the shuttle to the Coliseum. IUPUI offers a free student shuttle service for fans wanting to support their team. You can find the bus schedule through IUPUI's Twitter page.
- Food: Need a Snickers or another food to satisfy your hunger? Well, Broad Ripple is not far away. Not to mention the fact that the student shuttle has provided free food in the past.
- Parking: It's easier than you think. If you're driving, all you have to do is follow the signs in the parking lot, and they'll show you exactly where you need to go.
- Seating: Assigned seating doesn't exist. Once you enter the lobby, someone will direct you to the student section, and you decide from there.
- Cheers: Just Google "IUPUI fight song" and try to sing along. You got this!