With the holidays fast approaching, IU Human Resources offers reminders about 2018's final paycheck and how and when to use time off during the holiday season:
Year-end pay dates
For support, service and PAO and PAU professional staff, the last pay date of 2018 is Dec. 28, for time worked between Dec. 2 and 15. PAE professional staff will receive pay for work during December 2018 on Jan. 2, 2019.
Use of 2017 holiday hours
Holiday hours accrued from 2017 must be used by the end of the last pay period of 2018. For support, service and PAO and PAU staff, holiday time off earned in 2017 must be used by Dec. 29, 2018. For PAE staff, holiday time off earned in 2017 must be used by Dec. 31, 2018.
Use of accrued time off during departmental closings
Paid holidays for Christmas Day and New Year's Day will be Tuesday, Dec. 25, 2018, and Tuesday, Jan. 1, 2019, respectively.
A department may close between these dates or beyond. During such closing, staff may use accrued paid time off as follows:
- Support and service staff may use accrued vacation hours or accrued compensatory time off. PAO and PAU staff must use PTO or accrued compensatory time off; PAE staff must use accrued PTO.
- Support and service staff cannot use income protection time, and professional staff cannot use PTO sick bank time to cover this time unless the reason for doing so qualifies under the provisions of the Human Resources Policies governing these categories of paid time off.
- Staff employees who do not have sufficient accruals to cover the department closing will take the time off as absence without pay.
Borrowing future vacation or PTO accruals
Support and service staff employees hired after June 30 and professional staff employees hired Oct. 1 or later may not have accrued sufficient time off to cover the closing of a department between Christmas and New Year's Day. In this case, the employee may borrow against future accruals of vacation hours or PTO. This is the only time in which borrowing against future accruals is allowed. Employees should contact their departmental payroll specialist for instructions.
As soon as the employee earns vacation or PTO accruals, the borrowed time is charged against the accrued time. If the employee leaves the university before earning the borrowed time, the employee's final paycheck will be adjusted accordingly.
Future accruals cannot be borrowed under the following circumstances:
- Employees hired before the June 30 or Oct. 1 dates.
- To cover time off due to department closings that extend beyond the holiday closing.
Questions? Contact IU Human Resources at email@example.com or 812-856-1234 or contact Financial Management Services at 812-855-0375.