As a result, patrons and visitors are navigating closures and detours trying to find out what food options are available.
The Commons, the Food Court, the Chocolate Moose and Sugar and Spice are closed for construction. Patrons cannot walk from one end of the main level to the other. Detours lead patrons up to the first floor and back down to the main level to get from one end to the other. The IMU has updated maps of the building to help people find their way during the yearlong renovation.
One food option that just returned is a temporary version of The Globe, a partnership between IU Dining and local restaurants that allows patrons to enjoy local favorites from around town.
This is the result of Indiana University Student Government leaders saying they wanted additional food options, said James McHaley, director of marketing for the Division of Student Affairs.
The Globe reopened Jan. 27 on the second floor of the IMU in the KP Williams Room, one floor above the Tudor Room and Whittenberger Auditorium and across the hall from the State Room East. The Globe is open from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. Monday through Friday. Its lineup of restaurants is the same as last semester:
- Mondays: Sofra Cafe
- Tuesdays: Juannita's
- Wednesdays: Taste of India
- Thursdays: Bivi's Tamales
- Fridays: Amrit India
In addition, these IMU dining locations also are open during the renovation project:
- Circle Café: 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. daily on the main level; offers breakfast, lunch and dinner.
- Starbucks: 7:30 a.m. to 11 p.m. Monday through Thursday and 7:30 a.m. to 6 p.m. Friday through Sunday on the first floor.
- Tudor Room: 7 to 10 a.m. and 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. Monday through Friday, 7 to 10 a.m. Saturday, and 7 to 10 a.m. and 10:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. Sunday on the first floor; offers breakfast and lunch.
- Union Market: 10 a.m. to 10 p.m. daily on the main level; offers Sugar and Spice cookies and treats, Chocolate Moose ice cream, sushi and to-go items.
- Food trucks: 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. Monday through Friday on East Kirkwood Avenue near the Alumni Hall entrance.
The food truck option includes two provided by IU Dining, Gloriana's and Stripes (follow @IUStripes and @IUGloriana on Facebook and @IU_Stripes and @IUGloriana on Twitter), and a rotation of local vendors. The rotation is:
- Mondays: Wever's
- Tuesdays: La Poblana
- Wednesdays: JD's Taste of Chicago
- Thursdays: The Big Cheese
- Fridays: Pilis Party Taco
Breakfast at the Tudor Room is new.
"I think it's a great option for campus visitors, job candidates, people here to give a talk, or even just for faculty and staff who want to have a meeting over coffee (or breakfast) in the morning," said Hank Walter, IMU executive director.
A new food service option on the campus is Grubhub, which IU has contracted with to provide pickup service from campus dining locations. The Circle Café and Starbucks are pickup sites within the IMU. Faculty, staff, students and others will need to sign up with the Grubhub app to use IU's program.